I was just reading through the textbook, and I felt like I had to say something about the homophobia and the definition of a "real man"
A lot of things said in the book are true to the male perspective, and almost all men have experienced scenarios discussed in the book with the notable being called a sissy back on the playground. I can honestly say that I have been one of the guys to mess with other guys and play around like this, hell I was also one using gay as a derogatory term meaning stupid, dumb, etc, but over time, I have matured a lot and I no longer go that route.
I am very comfortable with myself and don't get offended by much of anything unless it is racially meant to debase me. Today, society's view on what is a "real man' is so...stupid. I run and I like to take care of myself, so I do take care of my legs, arms, chest, etc, but when my mom found out she said that "men don't do that they are suppose to be hairy", and basically the same with my dad. I even get messed with because I like to wear spandex, which feels good! but it seen bad because it's tight. Come on now. Just this idea of masculinity and staying as far as away from it as possible; this idea of classifying gay men with women in the aspect of me taking care of/pampering myself is just crazy!
Sunday, January 11, 2009
A "Real Man"
Posted by Nate J. at 10:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
As much as we place women in a box of how they are supposed to act and dress, we do it to men as well.
The type of guys I usually date are skinny, wear tight shirts and pants, and usually are muscians. I have been teased so many times by my dad because he doesn't seem to think they are "real" men. It was this type of reaction that made me see how my father is homophobic. I'm not sure what exactly my dad thinks how a guy should dress, but I know his actions are the "typical" guy, spending his time chopping wood and out in the garage. Yet, that is something that I have turned against by dating the opposite.
Post a Comment