Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mickey Mouse Monopoly

Prior to this video, I have gotten a lot of knowledge as far as experiencing and learning a lot of different types of discrimination, particularly stereotypes. Stereotypes are present in everyday life. Some groups deal with stereotypes more then others, but the big picture is that stereotypes face group’s almost on a daily basis.


I found it intriguing to focus on Disney in this sense. Growing up, you don't notice these hidden messages being sent, especially in the 1990's as kids we were not focused on that kind of stuff as much as the entertainment value. I don’t distinctly remember telling myself that I couldn’t achieve my childhood dreams because of my gender, race, or ethnicity. It wasn’t until middle school where that became more prominent to where I had to literally be “realistic” and become more in tune with how I am viewed by the outside world to play my cards right. It shocked me that on the video young kids were able to identify these messages not discussed as much back then. Of course, now I always read into things to see if I see any stereotyping or discrimination.


For the most part, I am not shocked anymore by stereotyping or discrimination if I see it, but I am shocked more when it I blatant and men to be offensive then when it is intentional and not meant to be intentional. With that being said, the ideas discussed in the movie did not have much of an effect on me.


I go through life in general having to face stereotypes and discrimination on a daily basis. May it be the example in class about having police cars slowing down when they pass me, friends thinking I am good at something just because of my race, gender, or ethnicity, or getting questioned about my ethnicity or race because I am light skinned, it’s just something that I just have to deal with. I wish it wasn’t the case, but this just the way things are even in this day in time.



0 comments: