Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Question To All

A question that I have been pondering for a few days is...

Why are schools with better education and more money for the education seeming not to be helping explain the discrimination, prejudice, racism, etc, that plagues our society so that things could change?

It seems to me like the schools with the not so well education, and not so much money, would/can see that because of how they are treated. I am just like...If they have better education, and thus allowing for better opportunities, then why aren't they educated as far as social problems so that they could help in the future instead of just being passive?

2 comments:

Tinytreasures said...

Thats a really good question.

The only answer I can think of is that people are naive. They don't believe that racism and discrimination is something to worry about when high school is supposed to be preparing one for college. (if living in a middle class area) While in lower class areas, high school is preparing you for life, ensuring you know how to balance your check book or nurturing courses and cooking classes. I think it all depends on the priorities of these areas.

ghm said...

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. I can think of several interpretations of your question.

Are you asking why students at "good" colleges or high schools are not learning enough about the sources of social problems so that they can DO something about them?

I guess my personal feeling is that people (like myself) who are given privilege have a duty to "use it for good". Do you think that critical thinking about interpersonal relationships is a reasonable start to broader social change?